We’re in it to win it this week. There’s TONS to do before we head to Las Vegas on Monday for MAGIC, including a little renovation at Dish (using that Annie Sloan Chalk Paint), networking (over champs at Lure, naturally) with the fabulous Kelly of Austen Hill and finalizing our trend list for fall. Stay tuned for some great posts this week, including the summer version of our short-trip packing strategy and a play-by-play of J’s hair transformation.Continue Reading
Glitter girl Kate Gary shared this super easy recipe with us a few weeks ago. The best part? It uses one of our fave recipes, Kale Pesto. We love Kate’s philosophy on food, too. Read on!
When I cook, I like to plan out my meals so no food is wasted. It’s a weekly goal for me to use all the food that I purchased that week at the grocery. Earlier in the week, I purchased a rotisserie chicken from Costco to make my homemade chicken salad. (Maybe L will let me post that in the future!) I mean, who bakes chicken when you can buy it already cooked by the friendly peeps at Costco for $5?! I didn’t use all the chicken, so I used the leftover chicken and Kale Pesto to make what I call pesto chicken cordon bleu crescents!
(cordon bleu (French) [kɔrdɔ̃ blø]
1. (Historical Terms) French history
a. the sky-blue ribbon worn by members of the highest order of knighthood under the Bourbon monarchy
b. a knight entitled to wear the cordon bleu
2. any very high distinction
What You Need:
- 1 recipe Kale Pesto
- 1 package Low-Fat Crescent Rolls (8 triangles)
- Rotisserie Chicken (or 1 cooked chicken breast)
What You Do:
First, make the kale pesto featured on The Glitter Life. FAB-U-LOUS! I’m notorious for not following recipes exactly (except for baking – I learned that the hard way), but I did follow this recipe fairly closely. My only modifications: add some fresh grated Parmesan cheese, subtract some olive oil.
Next, unroll the crescents and spread a healthy amount of pesto over the raw dough. Take a piece of chicken (the size of a small chicken finger) and roll it up in the pesto-covered triangle. It will look like a pig-in-a-blanket. Repeat with remaining triangles. Follow the baking directions for the crescent rolls and voila!
Have a fun recipe you want to share? Tweet us! @glitter_blog_xoContinue Reading
Kale + Quinoa Salad
L’s sister-in-law Jaclyn brought a delicious kale quinoa salad to a recent family gathering in Statesboro. The healthy and delicious dish had everyone talking (in a good way)! In true glitter girl spirit, she agreed to share the recipe with us.
What You Need:
- a few cups of cooked quinoa
- a few cups of chopped kale
- crumbled feta
- golden raisins
- chopped red onion
- a few TBSP of dressing (balsamic vinegar, olive oil, fresh lemon juice, spicy brown mustard, herbes de Provence). Jaclyn says: I’ve made the dressing, but I think any olive oil balsamic blend would work. I only used 2 – 3 TBSP of Organicville Herbes de Provence Vinaigrette for the big bowl (doubled recipe) I took to the reunion.
What You Do:
Just mix it all up and chill for a few hours to blend flavors. This salad will keep for several days…as long as you don’t eat it all at once.
This is an easy and forgiving recipe. I couldn’t find plain quinoa at the grocery in Statesboro, so I used an Olive Oil and Rosemary flavored box. Totally fine! I also added a little basil from my herb garden. Chopped walnuts and diced carrots could turn this side salad into a hearty meal. Bottom line: add whatever sounds good to you.
Thanks to Jaclyn for sharing this recipe with us! Do you have a favorite salad recipe? Tweet or Instagram us at @glitter_blog_xo. Check out our other recipe recommendations on Pinterest here.Continue Reading
I love anything salty-sweet, and I’ve been obsessed with White Chocolate Snack Mix ever since Glitter Girl Melanie Herrington made it for our very first Easter Egg Hunt two years ago. I made it again this year, so I thought I’d share the recipe. It’s pretty and perfect for a spring party. Snack on it by the bowlful, or place individual portions in clear cello bags and tie with a pretty ribbon for cute favors.
Ingredients (makes 20 1-cup portions)
- 6 cups cereal (Mel recommends a mix of Golden Grahams, Multi Grain Cheerios and Chex)
- 1 12oz. bag mini M&Ms (try to get the pastel kind!)
- 3 cups pretzels (sticks or mini pretzels)
- 1/2 jar dry roasted peanuts
- 1 bag white chocolate chips, melted
Mix dry ingredients together. Pour melted chocolate over mix and stir to coat. Spread mix out on wax paper to dry. TRY NOT TO EAT IT ALL AT ONCE.
Speaking of Easter, we had a great one with family and friends.
How was your weekend? Share you Easter pics with us on Twitter/Instagram! @glitter_blog_xoContinue Reading
Meet our latest glitter girl, Britton Rowe. J’s beautiful cousin (who’s getting married this July EEE!) and L’s former intern at the Georgia State Capitol. Could the world be any smaller?
About Me: I’m a fashion-focused girl working my way through the Star Wars-infested waters of the software development world.
1. What item or accessory do you wear the most? My David Yurman bracelets. No matter the outfit, they work perfectly and I can layer them with other fun accessories.
2. What are your three favorite stores (for ANYTHING, online or bricks and mortar)? 1. Kate Spade for statement investment pieces 2. C.Wonder for on trend basics 3. Etsy for interesting, personalized pieces that no one else has.
3. Fill in the blank. You would die if ____ followed you on Twitter. Kim Kardashian, because let’s be real she doesn’t follow anyone. People just follow her.
4. Your last meal. What is it? This is tough because I really like food, but if I had to choose it would be Rotier’s cheeseburger and french fries. It’s this hole in the wall place in Nashville near where I used to live but it’s rumored to be the cheeseburger Jimmy Buffet wrote ‘Cheeseburger in Paradise’ about…yeah, it’s that good.
5. What’s your guilty pleasure? Reality TV. My fiance can’t stand it, but I just love the drama. It makes me feel like my life is much,much more sane!
L and I can definitely relate to Britton’s favorite accessory. We wear at least one Yurman bracelet everyday. #armparty
About our Glitter Girls: Once a week-ish, we highlight one of our favorite friends/readers/fellow Glitter Girls with a pic and a brief questionnaire. We’ll feature girls who are living in interesting places (from Atlanta to Alaska) and doing interesting things (from stylish stay-at-home moms to corporate ladder-climbers). We hope you enjoy getting to know The Glitter Life community!
In other news:
We’ve got an exciting week of posts planned! Stayed tuned for the perfect spring appetizer (Mango Avocado Shrimp Cups); a make-up bag makeover; and spring’s best denim.Continue Reading
If you’re like L and me, you love to get creative with your nail polish but you don’t have the time (or the cash) to hop into the nail salon every week for a manicure. We are definitely advocates of the DIY home mani BUT regular polish chips after a few days. So what’s a glitter girl to do?
Thanks to my coworker Amber, let me share how to get the same shiny, long-lasting results of a professional gel manicure right in the comfort of your own home. The key ingredient:
It’s not a quick process, but the results (and $$ you save!) are totally worth it. All you need is Gelous Nail Gel by ACI, the nail color of your choice (any brand), and a fast-drying top coat.
Here are the steps:
1. Apply two coats of Gelous, leaving a few minutes of dry time in between.
2. Add a layer of your polish (shown here: Tart Deco by Essie).
3. Apply one more layer of Gelous.
4. Apply a second coat of your polish.
5. Apply a fast-drying top coat. We love Good to Go by Essie.
My mani has lasted over a WEEK with no chips. Can’t beat that! Removal is simple: just use acetone polish remover.
What do you think, ladies? Will you be running out to grab Gelous on your lunch break? L is. I promise, it’s the best $5.99 you’ll ever spend.Continue Reading
We’re a little late on our weekend wrap-up…we blame a manic, manic Monday. Here’s what we were up to:
J: Had a R&D session with my boss/coworkers on Friday at Chuy’s. Saturday, Jay and I headed to our home away from home, Lake Oconee, for a relaxing evening. Sunday we got in a little golf (even though it was frigid) and enjoyed a cocktail at Fado.
L: Did a little cooking and experimented with up-dos (both will be on the blog this week!), had a mini-photo shoot, enjoyed a date night with Joe, and finished the weekend with a good friend and glass of wine at home.
And now, for this week’s Glitter Girl, Melanie Herrington.
About Melanie: Mel is an artist extraordinaire and stay-at-home mom to three adorable girls. She’s got city-girl tastes but lives in the small town of Dublin, Georgia. We love her style and couldn’t wait to share her with you!
1. What item or accessory do you wear the most?
Etsy is my number one favorite store-if you can call it that. I love that the stores on Etsy are filled with unique finds made by unique artisans. This site brings a hand thrown bowl made by a potter in Oregon directly to my doorstep. I like that! Check out these super finds:
5. What’s your guilty pleasure?
Happy Monday, glitter girls!
J and I had a busy weekend prepping for our trip to Vegas for the MAGIC tradeshow on Tuesday. In addition to our weekend wrap-up, we thought we’d start the week off with our first Glitter Girl feature. First, a few pics from the weekend.
Now, for our very first Glitter Girl.
Once a week-ish, we plan to highlight one of our favorite friends/readers/fellow Glitter Girls with a pic and a brief questionnaire. We’ll feature girls who are living in interesting places (from Atlanta to Alaska) and doing interesting things (from stylish stay-at-home moms to corporate ladder-climbers). We hope you enjoy getting to know The Glitter Life community!
Reagan Daly is the advertising manager of Savannah Media, LLC, which houses Connect Savannah and the Savannah Pennysaver. Reagan is a loyal Social and Dish shopper and we absolutely love her style. She is also the wife of a fabulous man (her words!) and mom to an amazing six year old son.
1. What item or accessory do you wear the most? My liquid metal Sergio Gutierrez bracelet. Love it!
2. What are your three favorite stores (for ANYTHING, online or bricks-and-mortar)? Social & Dish in Statesboro, Georgia (told you!) and Taz in Pawleys Island, South Carolina.
3. Fill in the blank. You would die if anyone followed me on Twitter. (I’m not a big Tweeter.)
4. Your last meal. What is it? Club Sandwich with EXTRA mayo. Yum!
5. What’s your guilty pleasure? Playing the 80’s throwback (90’s comeback) channel on Pandora extra loud and dancing around my house.
Hope everyone had a fantastic weekend! We’ll share our packing strategy for a whirlwind 30-hour trip to Vegas tomorrow.