J. The next stop on our honeymoon was Çanakkale, Turkey. Çanakkale is a town and seaport on the southern Asian coast of Dardanelles at their narrowest point. The cities nearest major town is the site of ancient Troy. You may remember a certain Brad Pitt movie involving a wooden horse that was filmed here…
fresh fish anyone? like real fresh.
the most adorable presentation for Turkish coffee including chocolate covered espresso beans!
us and Brad Pitt’s horse. #Troy
leave it to us to find the most delicious pizza in Turkey (on a doily no less) at Napoli Pizza.
Stay tuned for our day in Assos, Turkey. These pics are beyond amazing.
Happy Memorial Day! We hope everyone is having a relaxing day and of course doing some online shopping…
It is no secret that we both live for fun paper products. We <3 snail mail.
J was in the market for some fun washi tape to add a little something to her wedding thank you notes and came across the gem that is Carde Blanche.
This adorable online paper shoppe is a dream. Owner, Lori Christensen, is a doll and her instagram is a MUST follow.
And now… for the goods:
almost too pretty to open.
super sweet note.
lori was so sweet to add these extras to the order! the yahoo card has already been included in a graduation gift! so cute.
Have a party coming up? Carde Blanche also offers custom paper products!
Time to get writing, girls.
Happy Friday and kick-off to the first three day weekend of the summer! We’re both headed out shortly for some fun in the sun. Today, in honor of L’s trip to Tybee, we’re sharing our beach uniform. [[We’ll share our pool standards in a few weeks when we travel to Lake Oconee for a quick girls’ getaway.]] Wherever you’re going this weekend, we hope you have a safe and stylish Memorial Day.
1 // TOMS Aviators. Our usual.
2 // Straw fedora.
3 // Straw beach tote. This one is *old* J. Crew (sold out, but see similar here). It’s critical to have a tote that stands up on the beach. Otherwise, sand and spillage will ruin your day.
4 // Black bikini. This adorable wrap top and cut-out bottom are by L*Space. If you’re expecting (like L), or prefer a little more coverage up top, check out the ASOS options for fuller busts. L owns/loves this longline bikini top.
5 // Metallic flip flops. We both love these Jack Rogers Georgica Jellies. A classic shape in beach-friendly material.
6 // Graphic beach towel. Similar here. Stick to classic stripes – better for Instagram photos. ;)
7 // Caftan dress. Please, no strapless cotton cover-ups. This multi-color Warehouse Zig Zag Caftan Dress (ASOS, again) is super lightweight and looks great over any solid swimsuit.
Love the Jack Rogers jellies and L Space bikini as much as we do? Shop for all three at Shop Social Dish and save 20% using the code MEMDAY15 (expires Monday, May 25). You’re welcome!
J: The Bakers are baaack. We had the most amazing honeymoon. It was hard coming home, but all good things must come to an end I suppose!
Jay and I started our journey in Rome, Italy. With just a few hours to explore, we really made our rounds:
We took a stroll by a little piece of history… The Pantheon.
Rome at night.
Piazza Venezia. The central hub of Rome. It’s a ZOO as you can see.
The Spanish Steps are great, but the view from the top is even better.
You can’t do Rome on 1 night, but we definitely made a dent. Next up on our honeymoon travels… Turkey! Stay tuned.
L made this delicious Spinach and Cheese Strata for Mother’s Day brunch – it was a hit! Yall know we love anything we can make ahead…means more time to work on our tablescape. Add a fresh fruit salad (L chose Watermelon Feta Salad) and muffins, and you’ve got an easy, elegant brunch. We adapted this from an Annie’s Eats post; here’s our version (with notes).
Make-Ahead Spinach and Cheese Strata
photo: annie’s eats.
What You Need:
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1½ cups onion, finely chopped (basically, one large yellow onion)
- 2 (10 oz.) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained (we used bagged, organic frozen spinach)
- 1 tsp. salt, divided
- ½ tsp. pepper, divided
- Dash ground nutmeg (the original recipe called for freshly grated…but ground works just fine)
- 8 cups cubed French or Italian bread, cut into 1-inch cubes (basically one large loaf)
- 6 oz. coarsely grated Swiss or Gruyere cheese (about 2 cups)
- 2 oz. finely grated Parmesan (about 2/3 cup)
- 9 large eggs
- 2¾ cup milk (we used Horizon Organic 1% low-fat milk)
What You Do:
- Melt the butter in a medium skillet over low heat. Add the onions to the pan and sauté until soft, about 5 minutes. Add ½ teaspoon of the salt, ¼ teaspoon of the pepper, and the nutmeg, and continue to cook for 1 minute more. Stir in the spinach, remove from the heat and set aside.
- Liberally coat the inside of a 2½-3 quart baking dish with cooking spray. Layer the bottom of the dish with one third of the bread cubes. Top with one third of the spinach mixture and one third of each of the cheeses. Repeat these layers twice more with the bread, spinach and cheese. It’s important to grate your cheeses ahead of time, so that you can distribute them evenly in your layers.
- In a medium bowl, combine the eggs, milk, the remaining ½ teaspoon of the salt and ¼ teaspoon of the pepper. Whisk together until blended. Pour the mixture evenly over the bread and spinach layered in the baking dish. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 8 hours or up to 1 day.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat the oven to 350˚ F. Bake uncovered until puffed, golden brown and cooked through, 45-55 minutes. Let stand at least 5 minutes before serving.
- Serves 8.
**This is our version of a well-loved, well-published recipe. Annie’s Eats adapted this from Smitten Kitchen. Originally appeared in Gourmet, February 2003.
Bonus: Sample Brunch Menu
- Spinach and Cheese Strata
- Watermelon and Feta Salad
- Blueberry Streusel Muffins
- Assorted Breakfast Sausages
- Iced Coffee Bar (we paired this pre-made iced coffee with whipped cream and cute straws)
Y’all. Fellow Southerner and professional cutie Reese Witherspoon has joined the ranks of Gwyneth Paltrow and Blake Lively with the launch of Draper James, a lifestyle retail site with a healthy dose of editorial and a decidedly Southern perspective.
While not extensive, the offerings are reasonably priced, witty/pretty and stay true to Reese’s Southern roots. We can see ourselves wearing these clothes and using this stuff in our homes. Draper James is selling a lifestyle that’s more attainable than other celebrity-driven sites like Goop and Preserve. We shopped the site (hey, somebody’s gotta do it) and picked out our faves to share with you. Here’s what we loved best:
pretty // preppy
1. Horseshoe Decorative Objet
2. Hush Yall Phone Case
3. Tortoise Sunglasses
4. Herringbone Cotton Throw
5. Minnie Bag
6. Matching Top and Shorts
What do you guys think? Let us know if you make a purchase!
Mmmmonday. Need a quick and easy idea for dinner tonight? Upgrade your usual grilled cheese sandwich to this summer-y pesto, artichoke and havarti version by Two Peas and Their Pod, one of our fave food blogs. Use prepared pesto if you don’t feel like making your own Spinach Basil Pesto. This is just as easy as the classic you loved growing up but wayyyy more sophisticated and flavorful.
Pesto, Artichoke and Havarti Grilled Cheese by Two Peas and Their Pod
What You Need:
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 4 slices whole-grain bread (such as Eureka! Organic Bread)
- 4 tablespoons Spinach Basil Pesto or prepared pesto
- 4 slices Arla Dofino® Creamy Havarti (or 4 ounces, grated)
- 2/3 cup sliced artichoke hearts (from jar or can, drained)
- Sea salt, for sprinkling on sandwich
What You Do:
- Butter the outsides of the bread. Spread the insides of the bread slices evenly with pesto. Put a slice of Havarti on the bottom piece of bread, add artichoke hearts, and top with another slice of Havarti. Place the other piece of bread on top, creating a sandwich.
- Heat a large skillet or griddle pan over medium-low heat and place the sandwiches butter side down. Cook for 4-5 minutes, or until the cheese starts to melt and the bread is golden brown. Carefully flip the sandwich over and cook for an additional about 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and sprinkle with sea salt. Cut sandwiches in half and serve immediately.