Hi Hi, Glitter Girls!
As you know, we have been craving spring. L made this kale pesto Friday night and it really satisfied her desire for something fresh and healthy. Plus, it was delicious!
Kale Pesto (adapted from Downtown Romantic via Glitter Guide)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (or pine nuts)
- 8 ounces kale, trimmed, rinsed, and chopped
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1-2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Toast nuts in the oven or a frying pan until they’re golden and fragrant. Careful – this only takes a few minutes! Let cool. (This took me a few tries – I am easily distracted.)
- Wash and dry kale, and trim all of the stems off. You should just have the leaves left. OR, use bagged kale leaves. These are usually available in a 16 oz package – use half for this recipe. Use the other half for green smoothies.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Drop the kale into the boiling water. When the water returns to a boil, swirl the kale around a few times until it wilts.
- Pour the kale into a colander and rinse immediately with cold water. Press out as much water as you can using a dishtowel.
- Place the nuts, kale, Parmesan, olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, salt, and pepper in a blender or food processor. Purée until smooth. You may need to add more olive oil to reach desired consistency.
- Toss cooked whole wheat pasta with pesto. Top with freshly grated Parmesan cheese. Or, spoon a few dollops on pizza – delicious.
- To refrigerate, cover with plastic wrap directly on the surface of the pesto. Will stay fresh for up to 3 days. To freeze, place desired portions in small containers with plastic directly on the surface of the pesto, or place in plastic freezer bags. Freeze for up to two months.
This tasted so fresh! Joe and I ate it on whole wheat penne Friday night, and my friend Kate and I enjoyed it on pizza Sunday night. Definitely a fresh, healthy take on a classic.
Have you tried any new recipes lately? Tweet us @glitter_blog_xo, or Instagram pics at @glitter_blog_xo.