Happy Friday, glitter girls!
Eeeeek, only eleven days until Christmas! Holiday parties are in full swing (what to wear?! what to bring?!)) and shopping is at a fever pitch (what to buy?! how much to spend?!). Don’t stress. J and I are here to help. In keeping with our weekly tradition, we present today’s Friday Five: Top Five Holiday Survival Strategies.
1. Have a go-to appetizer. How often does it happen? You look at your calendar and realize you have yet another holiday party tonight…and you have to bring an appetizer. J and I have an arsenal of easy party recipes (duh, we get a LOT of invites), and this HONEYCRISP & GORGONZOLA CROSTINI from Channeling Contessa is one of our faves this time of year. Super easy, super pretty and sure to impress.
2. Stock up on unique hostess gifts. Hostess gifts are a challenge. You want to show your appreciation for a gracious invite (your mother raised you right, after all), but you might not know your hostess that well. You may be tempted to go for something generic and inoffensive (another bottle of wine!), but don’t. Use this opportunity to give her something unique and creative, as well as thoughtful and useful. This list from Real Simple has twenty-two ideas for the hostess gifts. Our fave is this adorable sewing kit from anthropologie. You can order a bunch, or try your hand at making them in bulk. These would also be cute teacher gifts. Just grab and go! [[For the record, J and I would not sneeze at a bottle of wine, if we are your hostesses and that’s your thing.]]
3. Make the most of your shopping dollars. We know, we know. Shop local. We really do try, but sometimes there’s just no reasonable alternative to online shopping. As long as you’re clicking away, you might as well earn skymiles to help with your holiday travels. Delta offers a certain amount of skymiles per dollars spent on TONS of websites. For example, J’s Christmas card order from minted.com earned her 3 miles for every dollar spent. Might not seem like much, but it adds up as you start checking things off of your list!
4. Detox on the go. Whether you’ve imbibed too many candy cane martinis, eaten too many slices of fruitcake, or dealt with a toxic relative, detoxing is critical during the holidays. This Tory Burch beverage container from the Neiman Marcus by Target collection is perfect for housing our Yogi Detox Tea.
5. Amp up your everyday look. Holiday parties call for a little something extra in the makeup department. Swapping your neutral lipstick for something brighter will boost your confidence and make your teeth look whiter. You don’t have to redo your entire face before that party–just change your lipstick, throw your hair in a topknot and go. Now, where’s that mistletoe?
The holidays don’t have to be stressful. A little planning–stocking up on appetizer ingredients, buying hostess gifts in bulk beforehand–makes it easy to enjoy this time of year. How do you survive the holidays? Got any tips for us? Tweet us at @glitter_blog_xo.
*Congrats to Rebecca Greener who is the winner of our Holiday Giveaway! Please send your address to firstname.lastname@example.org.*Continue Reading