We’re headed to Atlanta market on Friday to buy for Fall/Winter 15 (be sure to follow us on Instagram @glitter_blog_xo for sneak peeks and behind the scenes pics!), and afterwards we’re headed to Lake Oconee for a quick weekend getaway. Here are the seven things we never leave home without this time of year.
1 // Pale blue is THE nail polish color for summer 15 (we know you know this). L scooped Sally Hansen Insta-Dri in Blue Away ($2.97 WHAT) the other day, and this polish brand just might make us abandon Essie forever. It dries super-fast and has an extra-wide brush for even coverage (and also a dumb name, but we can forgive that). We also love the Double Duty Top Coat.
2 // We both have wavy hair, and we like to experiment with sea salt spray to up the texture factor. We like this one by Josie Maran, but different hair types need different sea salt sprays. This handy article will guide you to the right one for your hair.
3 // A sweaty face is not cute. These blotting papers by Tarte get rave reviews.
4 // Our friend Christa is something of a lipstick savant. Coral Crush by Maybelline is her pick for summer – in her words, it’s “not very bright but super pigmented.” View other great options here.
5 // This natural-looking self tanning spray by L’Oreal is a year-round beauty essential. It’s honestly pretty goof-proof – just be sure to prep your skin before you apply. We graduate from the “medium” shade to the “dark” shade in the summer.
6 // Our favorite volume-boosting dry shampoo. Because washing, drying and styling your hair in the summer heat is straight misery. L has been known to go for a WEEK between shampoos using this. Really.
7 // Fedora – Despite our best ninja moves with dry shampoo and sea salt spray, sometimes the only answer to summer hair is a fedora. Throw it on and don’t look back.
Eeeeek, only eleven days until Christmas! Holiday parties are in full swing (what to wear?! what to bring?!)) and shopping is at a fever pitch (what to buy?! how much to spend?!). Don’t stress. J and I are here to help. In keeping with our weekly tradition, we present today’s Friday Five: Top Five Holiday Survival Strategies.
1. Have a go-to appetizer. How often does it happen? You look at your calendar and realize you have yet another holiday party tonight…and you have to bring an appetizer. J and I have an arsenal of easy party recipes (duh, we get a LOT of invites), and this HONEYCRISP & GORGONZOLA CROSTINI from Channeling Contessa is one of our faves this time of year. Super easy, super pretty and sure to impress.
2. Stock up on unique hostess gifts. Hostess gifts are a challenge. You want to show your appreciation for a gracious invite (your mother raised you right, after all), but you might not know your hostess that well. You may be tempted to go for something generic and inoffensive (another bottle of wine!), but don’t. Use this opportunity to give her something unique and creative, as well as thoughtful and useful. This list from Real Simple has twenty-two ideas for the hostess gifts. Our fave is this adorable sewing kit from anthropologie. You can order a bunch, or try your hand at making them in bulk. These would also be cute teacher gifts. Just grab and go! [[For the record, J and I would not sneeze at a bottle of wine, if we are your hostesses and that’s your thing.]]
3.Make the most of your shopping dollars. We know, we know. Shop local. We really do try, but sometimes there’s just no reasonable alternative to online shopping. As long as you’re clicking away, you might as well earn skymiles to help with your holiday travels. Delta offers a certain amount of skymiles per dollars spent on TONS of websites. For example, J’s Christmas card order from minted.com earned her 3 miles for every dollar spent. Might not seem like much, but it adds up as you start checking things off of your list!
4. Detox on the go. Whether you’ve imbibed too many candy cane martinis, eaten too many slices of fruitcake, or dealt with a toxic relative, detoxing is critical during the holidays. This Tory Burch beverage container from the Neiman Marcus by Target collection is perfect for housing our Yogi Detox Tea.
5. Amp up your everyday look. Holiday parties call for a little something extra in the makeup department. Swapping your neutral lipstick for something brighter will boost your confidence and make your teeth look whiter. You don’t have to redo your entire face before that party–just change your lipstick, throw your hair in a topknot and go. Now, where’s that mistletoe?
The holidays don’t have to be stressful. A little planning–stocking up on appetizer ingredients, buying hostess gifts in bulk beforehand–makes it easy to enjoy this time of year. How do you survive the holidays? Got any tips for us? Tweet us at @glitter_blog_xo.
*Congrats to Rebecca Greener who is the winner of our Holiday Giveaway! Please send your address to firstname.lastname@example.org.*
(To all of our email subscribers who received an incomplete version of this post on Saturday night…SORRY. Turns out jazz hands are not compatible with an iPad. We’ll stick to blogging from our laptops from now on.)
You can’t look at any fashion mag or shop online without seeing oxblood (which is just a creepy way of saying deep burgundy) everything. Trust us, we do a lot of both. Anyway, turns out that, despite its icky name, oxblood is THE color for fall. Here are some our fave ways to wear the shade.
Well hello, Friday. We meet again. Time to sort out our weekend plans. Here’s what we’re thinking:
1. Lipstick Love: Update your fall beauty routine with a new lipstick. Add a little sass to your everyday outfit, or some extra glam to a night look:
2. Crazy for Curls: We’re obsessed with perfectly twisted tendrils. Tight curls? Loose curls? Beachy waves? Love. Them. All. Here are our favorite looks:
3. Anna Dello Russo at H&M: The Vogue Japan editor and style icon is debuting her signature over-the-top accessories line at H&M. Here’s a peek:
4. Face Mask: After months of summer stress and workplace stress, L and I are getting our skin in check. A deep cleansing mask is a great way to start. Our suggestions:
5. Relax: By some miracle, L and I are both enjoying relaxing weekends at home with NO PLANS. After we wash off our masks (hello, new skin), we’re going to chill on our patios and enjoy this beautiful fall weather.