L made these delicious veggie lasagna rolls (adapted from a Southern Living recipe) on Saturday night – the perfect healthy comfort food for a lazy weekend at home. This recipe also works for a busy weeknight: make the evening before, cover and refrigerate until you’re ready to bake. You can also add fresh or frozen spinach or mushrooms to the filling.
What You Need
- 10 uncooked whole wheat lasagna noodles (L used Hodgson Mill brand)
- 1 cup finely chopped sweet yellow or red onion
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced and divided
- 1 (24-oz.) jar tomato-and-basil pasta sauce (L used Bertolli brand)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 1 cup low-fat ricotta cheese
- 2 ounces 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1 (14-oz.) can baby artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup torn fresh basil (L used the basil in the squeeze tube, available in the produce section. don’t judge.)
- 1/4 cup (1 oz.) freshly shredded Parmesan cheese (L used the kind in the green shaker can. again, don’t judge.)
- Toppings: fresh basil, Parmesan cheese
What You Do
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cook pasta according to package directions for al dente. Drain pasta (do not rinse); arrange in a single layer on a piece of lightly greased aluminum foil or wax paper.
- Sauté onion in hot oil in a 3-qt. saucepan over medium heat 7 to 8 minutes or until caramelized. Add two-thirds of minced garlic, and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Stir in tomato sauce and next 2 ingredients. Bring mixture to a boil, stirring often. Reduce heat to low; simmer, stirring often, 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Stir together ricotta and cream cheese until smooth. Stir in artichoke hearts, next 3 ingredients, and remaining minced garlic. Spread 1/4 cup cheese mixture on 1 noodle. Roll up firmly, and place, seam side down, into a lightly greased 11- x 7-inch baking dish. Repeat with remaining noodles and cheese. Spoon tomato sauce over lasagna rolls.
- Bake, covered, at 350° for 45 to 50 minutes or until thoroughly heated and bubbly. Let stand 5 minutes. Sprinkle with desired toppings.