The weather is finally getting cooler around here, and we’re ready to update our faces for fall. It’s all about bold lips, nails and major mascara.
It’s been a while since we geared up for “back to school” shopping madness. Still, we want in on the excitement of creating a new look for the new school year. So instead of new clothes, we’re opting for a beauty refresher. It’s time to switch up our hairstyles and tweak our beauty routine. We’re making the following changes, starting this weekend:
1. Sophisticated Hair. Bye bye, side braid. It’s time for something more polished. Try a simple side twist to add interest to gorgeous loose curls. Now, if only the humidity would cooperate…
2. Fresh Nails. J came across the most PERFECT fall color by Essie (shocking!) this week. You need Bahama Mama in your life this season.
3. Dark Lips. Fall means darker, richer everything, so ditch your summer nude gloss for a spicy lip color. We heart this deep red lip + LBD combo.
4. Mermaid Eyes. We’re firm believers in easy make-up that takes you from day to night. Smokey eyes can do just that – just refresh your eyeliner and add a layer or two of shadow. This teal smokey eye is a nice update from our usual black and grey look.
5. Skin Care. Undo your summer sun damage with a retinol product. L swears by this SkinMedica Tri-Retinol Complex. Don’t believe us? It was recently featured in Marie Claire magazine! Add it to your usual anti-aging routine: switch your usual anti-wrinkle products to every other night, and use this on the off nights. If you’re in Statesboro, you can scoop this at Dr. Marc Bisseck’s Med Spa.
How are you planning to update your beauty routine for fall? Tweet us at @glitter_blog_xo. And don’t forget to follow along with us on Instagram this weekend at @glitter_blog_xo.
Happy Memorial Day! Today we are thankful for our freedom and forever grateful to those who have given their lives serving our country.
Visit our Pinterest album red + white + blue to view the links for these images. Need some last-minute recipe inspiration? Check out some of our fave summer recipes here. We hope you all have a fantastic holiday.
We can’t lie. It’s been a long week. L has been sick, J’s been swamped at work, and the weather down south has been super depressing. So, in true Glitter Girl style, we’re planning a fun and productive weekend to shake these rainy
day WEEK blues. Here’s our plan:
1. Decorate. A little Target-ing always lifts our mood. A few pics of some recent Target finds..
Have you seen the new and improved Threshold for Target collection? This iron wire table is a MUST have.
2. Make. Inspired by J’s recent purchase of a green guacamole bowl (from Target! we can’t stop.), we’re going to whip up this fresh Edamame Guacamole on Saturday afternoon and cross our fingers for patio weather. Just add pita chips and a cocktail.
3. Makeover. Our closets, that is. L’s closet is jammed with hangers, and J’s bedroom is a maze of laundry piles. Inspired by this article on Lauren Conrad and this post on Cupcakes and Cashmere, we’re going to at least START spring cleaning our closets.
4. Shop. Now that we have some room in our closets, we’re going to reward our superior organization skills with a few spring wardrobe purchases. What? We deserve it! Our picks:
5. Nails. What would our Friday Five be without a new nail color? J’s picking up Essie’s Bikini So Teeny at lunch today.
What are y’all up to this weekend? Tweet us or Instagram us @glitter_blog_xo!
Celebrate the first week of spring by trying five new things this weekend.
1. A chic pair of sunglasses. Sunny days are ahead. Time to update your eye-wear! Step out of your comfort zone with a fun cat-eye style.
2. Springy statement earrings. It’s not quite warm enough for breezy dresses. Spring-ify your go-to winter outfit (blazer, tee and skinnies) with a pretty pop of color for your weekend brunch.
3. Smoothie pops. We love trying new recipes on the weekends. These healthy, delicious Orange-Banana Smoothie Pops are on our agenda.
5. DIY hair tie. Dress up your pony with this adorable leather hair tie. This quick, easy DIY has “weekend” written all over it.
Have a great weekend! Tweet or Instagram us your pics at @glitter_blog_xo.
If you’re like L and me, you love to get creative with your nail polish but you don’t have the time (or the cash) to hop into the nail salon every week for a manicure. We are definitely advocates of the DIY home mani BUT regular polish chips after a few days. So what’s a glitter girl to do?
Thanks to my coworker Amber, let me share how to get the same shiny, long-lasting results of a professional gel manicure right in the comfort of your own home. The key ingredient:
It’s not a quick process, but the results (and $$ you save!) are totally worth it. All you need is Gelous Nail Gel by ACI, the nail color of your choice (any brand), and a fast-drying top coat.
Here are the steps:
1. Apply two coats of Gelous, leaving a few minutes of dry time in between.
2. Add a layer of your polish (shown here: Tart Deco by Essie).
3. Apply one more layer of Gelous.
4. Apply a second coat of your polish.
5. Apply a fast-drying top coat. We love Good to Go by Essie.
My mani has lasted over a WEEK with no chips. Can’t beat that! Removal is simple: just use acetone polish remover.
What do you think, ladies? Will you be running out to grab Gelous on your lunch break? L is. I promise, it’s the best $5.99 you’ll ever spend.