The temps are inching (ever so slowly) lower, and we’re definitely in a fall state of mind. It’s so close we can smell it. For today’s Friday Five, we’ve rounded up exactly what you need to know to have your most gorgeous season ever.
Smoky Eye // There are tons of “how-to” videos out there. This one by Into the Gloss is simple and easy to follow.
Polished Brows // Create the best brows to frame those smoky eyes with this how-to from the Zoe Report.
Contouring 101 // Kontour like a Kardashian, end up looking like a Klown. Instead, commit this super-simple tutorial to memory. You’ll look like yourself…only more defined.
Nude Lips // You already know how much we love a nude lip. This look is perfect with fall’s smoky eye – that whole “accentuate one feature” thing, you know. Check out this comprehensive roundup of nude lipstick shades.
Dark Nails // In case you missed it, here’s our round-up of our favorite tried and true fall nail shades.
What’s your favorite beauty look for fall? Tag us on Instagram at @glitter_blog_xo!
While a bright, bold lip will always be in style (and looks SO GOOD on people not named Laura and Jennifer)…we’ve always been pretty loyal to a nude lip. SO, we were psyched to see this look on the fall runways. Here are our picks for the best nude lipsticks, plus a few tips for a flawless application.
- Laura’s Favorite // Covergirl Colorlicious Lipstick in Creme (#230) // This super creamy lipstick is infused with shea butter, making it extra moisturizing. It glides on really smooth and while it’s not matte, it’s definitely not super shimmer-y.
this is not as bronze-y in real life.
- Jennifer’s Favorite // Wet N Wild Megalast Lip Color in Bare It All (#902C) // Great color, great price.
it’s $1.97. so just try it.
- Laura’s Second Favorite // Rimmel Lasting Finish Lipstick by Kate in #113 // This is truly matte – a great look if you’re doing a sultry cat-eye and dramatic lashes. The only drawback is that the matte “lasting finish”can be kind of drying.
just add a cat-eye.
- Christa’s Favorite // LORAC Cream Lipstick in Long Kiss // Our friend and makeup guru Christa recommends this peachy nude. It feels great going on, and provides a hint more color than these others.
Once you’ve picked your shade, try these tips for an application worthy of a make-up pro:
- Exfoliate // Use a lip scrub, or improvise with an old toothbrush and vaseline.
- Apply Lip Balm // Choose one that’s waxy, not oily or glossy. Easy does it.
- Apply Concealer// Pat it on and around your lips with your finger. This neutralizes the natural pink of your lips.
- Line Lips // Use a nude liner one shade darker than your skin tone, and then fill in your whole lip with the pencil to create a neutral base.
- Apply lipstick //
- Apply gloss // Use a clear gloss with no shimmer or sparkle. TA-DA!
We’re headed to Atlanta market on Friday to buy for Fall/Winter 15 (be sure to follow us on Instagram @glitter_blog_xo for sneak peeks and behind the scenes pics!), and afterwards we’re headed to Lake Oconee for a quick weekend getaway. Here are the seven things we never leave home without this time of year.
1 // Pale blue is THE nail polish color for summer 15 (we know you know this). L scooped Sally Hansen Insta-Dri in Blue Away ($2.97 WHAT) the other day, and this polish brand just might make us abandon Essie forever. It dries super-fast and has an extra-wide brush for even coverage (and also a dumb name, but we can forgive that). We also love the Double Duty Top Coat.
2 // We both have wavy hair, and we like to experiment with sea salt spray to up the texture factor. We like this one by Josie Maran, but different hair types need different sea salt sprays. This handy article will guide you to the right one for your hair.
3 // A sweaty face is not cute. These blotting papers by Tarte get rave reviews.
4 // Our friend Christa is something of a lipstick savant. Coral Crush by Maybelline is her pick for summer – in her words, it’s “not very bright but super pigmented.” View other great options here.
5 // This natural-looking self tanning spray by L’Oreal is a year-round beauty essential. It’s honestly pretty goof-proof – just be sure to prep your skin before you apply. We graduate from the “medium” shade to the “dark” shade in the summer.
6 // Our favorite volume-boosting dry shampoo. Because washing, drying and styling your hair in the summer heat is straight misery. L has been known to go for a WEEK between shampoos using this. Really.
7 // Fedora – Despite our best ninja moves with dry shampoo and sea salt spray, sometimes the only answer to summer hair is a fedora. Throw it on and don’t look back.
Okay, this is our last post about J’s wedding weekend. But we really wanted to share some behind-the scenes pics. Enjoy!
bridesmaids fueled up on brunch + bubbly.
l + j at brunch.
l made this practice bouquet for j from hydrangeas (picked up at the local publix) and finished with satin ribbon from several of j’s wedding shower gifts. nail polish: essie bachelorette bash.
bridesmaid kati made these adorbs champagne glasses, customized for each member of the bridal party. on the table: crafting materials (from ikea!) for the rehearsal dinner centerpieces. we all pitched in!
jay’s mom karen assembled 100+ gift boxes for the cocktail reception guests. inside: georgia peanuts (in mason jars – cute!), bottled water, golf balls and customized koozies and golf tees.
bridesmaid mary + brendan on the patio at the rehearsal dinner. loved her maxi dress!
the bridal party got dolled up at The Spa at the Ritz Carlton. j gifted each bridesmaid adorable h&m pajamas to wear while getting ready. also pictured: vintage-y earrings, another gift from j.
j’s something borrowed: an antique bracelet from l. the bride also borrowed gorg diamond earrings from her aunt.
one of our favorite pics from the weekend. we snapped this selfie minutes before walking down the aisle!
presenting mr. and mrs. james murray baker, iv! j’s dress: winnie couture.
bridesmaid maggie + talmadge. photo bomb: brendan.
j’s bouquet of peonies wowed everyone. bouquet: findlay rowe designs. cake: the ritz carlton.
honestly one of the best meals we’ve ever had: filet of beef tenderloin, seared sea scallops and braised veggies. catering: the ritz carlton.
the happy couple snapped a pic before digging in to dinner.
j + maid of honor annie.
l + joe at the reception. loved the handy pockets on our bridesmaids’ dresses!
…and that’s a wrap! #jjb2015 was one for the books. photo credit: the willets.
YAY for the weekend. It’s actually sunny today – we’re crossing our fingers this lasts for a few days. Here’s what we’re loving right now!
1. Nude Lip. After a winter of bright red lips, we’re really feeling this pared down nude lip. Now, if we can just get a tan…
photo: the beauty department.
2. Homemade Pizza. L and Joe made this delicious Spinach Artichoke Pizza (sans artichokes – forgot them at the store!) this week, and it’s probably making a reappearance on Sunday night. It’s super easy, and we love the combination of flavors. Even Baby Joe gobbled it up.
photo: two peas and their pod
3. Mimosa caddy. Making mimosa caddies is tops on our spring to-do list because we love champagne, we love pink, and we love DIY. And just because.
photo: a fabulous fete.
4. ASOS Floral Midi Skirt. J’s wearing this adorable floral midi to brunch in NYC during her bach party. Stay tuned for details!
photo: merricjk’s art.
5. Good read. We love this article about finding your style when you hit 30.
photo: cupcakes and cashmere.
J and L reunite at Mount Vintage this weekend for J’s bridal shower – hope you guys get to spend the weekend with good friends, too!
J: As I was recently updating literally everything in my makeup bag (sometimes you need to just PURGE and replenish), I realized I needed a really GOOD primer. Guess what? Found it!
Dermalogica has done it again. Their redness relief primer (with SPF20!) soothes and leaves you with a velvety barrier for your makeup. It can also be used as a spot treatment for particular areas of redness.
Click here to purchase or, if you’re in Atlanta, visit their amazing concept space in Atlantic Station.
SUPER excited to share my Birchbox goodies with you girls! (For those unfamiliar with Birchbox, it’s one of the original subscription beauty boxes. A glorious little present on your doorstep every month for only $10. Click here to join!)
This months theme is Fashionista which we can totally relate to.
1. Cynthia Rowley Beauty Eyeliner: We’re all about honesty here. With that, I was iffy about trying this silver liner. It goes on super smooth and is really pretty mixed with my usual black liner.
2. Dr Brandt Pores No More® Vacuum Cleaner™: This cleanser instantly tightened my pores. Right. Away. There’s an amazing cooling sensation that’s an added bonus.
3. Macadamia Professional™ Flawless Cleansing Conditioner: Love an XL (yet TSA friendly!) sample! More iffy-ness here. No suds and all-in-one? EEEK. I plan on giving this a try over the weekend. Stay tuned…
4. Laura Mercier Full Blown Volume Supreme Mascara: Oh my! Another large sample! I’ve actually used this mascara before and love it. No clumps, flakes or smearing.
5. Naobay Body Radiance Lotion: Perfect to keep on my desk to apply throughout the day. A light, lemony scent.
This might be one of the best Birchboxes yet! ALL of this is one adorable box for $10? It doesn’t get much better than that. Click here to join!