I’m always looking for fun recipes to make with Joe Jr. I saw this recipe for Peanut Butter and Jelly Muffins on the cute blog Two Peas and Their Pod (we featured another of their recipes here). Saturday morning seemed like the perfect time for the two of us to do a little baking…and a little tasting.
Peanut Butter & Jelly Muffins adapted from Two Peas and Their Pod
What You Need:
- 1 2/3 cups Gold Medal all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup of your favorite jelly, preserves or jam
- Standard muffin tin (recipe yields 12 muffins)
What You Do:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 12 muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray or line with paper cups.
- Combine dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk, peanut butter, oil, egg, and vanilla.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix just until combined.
- Scoop a heaping tablespoon of batter into each muffin cup. Spoon a heaping teaspoonful of jam on top of each cupful of batter. Then spoon about 2 tablespoons of batter over the jam.
- Divide any remaining batter equally among the muffin cups.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the muffins have risen in the middle and are firm to the touch. (Original recipe from The Recipe Girl Cookbook)
These muffins were tasty…but I learned something the first time I made them. The original recipe called for two tablespoons of batter on the bottom, but when I did that I ran out of batter for the tops of the muffins. The second time around I did a heaping tablespoon of batter, followed by a heaping teaspoon of preserves, followed by a heaping tablespoon of batter. I did have a little left over using that method, and I just divided it among the muffin cups. I made six muffins with peach preserves (my fave) and six with grape jelly (Joe’s choice).
Joe Jr and I had fun making these- his favorite part was licking the peanut butter spoon.
Did you do any baking this weekend? Do you have a favorite Saturday morning baking ritual? Tweet us @glitter_blog_xo!
PS – We both had rather domestic weekends. In pics…