I don’t like baking but I *do* like energy…so I have sort of flipped out for these no-bake energy bites, adapted from the super-cute blog Gimme Some Oven. One of my Social girls brought some to work the other day, and I have been obsessed ever since. These are ridiculously easy and super healthy, too.
No-Bake Energy Bites Recipe
- 1 cup dry oatmeal
- 2/3 cup toasted coconut flakes
- 1 cup almond butter (or peanut butter)
- 1/2 cup ground flaxseed (or wheat germ)
- 1/2 cup dried fruit, like Craisins or dried apricots (or chocolate chips. i know you were thinking it!)
- 1/3 cup honey (honey isn’t my fave– i use a little less than 1/3 cup)
- 1 tsp. vanilla
Stir all ingredients together in a medium bowl until thoroughly mixed. Let chill in the refrigerator for half an hour. Once chilled, roll into balls of whatever size you would like (yes, these sort of look like meatballs). Store in an airtight container and keep refrigerated for up to 1 week. Makes about 20-25 1″ balls.
Spread the coconut on a baking sheet and bake for 18 – 20 minutes at 300 degrees, until it’s a nice nutty brown. Coconut burns easily, so maybe start at 15 minutes and go from there. Tip: Keep your un-toasted flakes in the freezer in a ziploc bag. They will last FOREVER.