J: I’m always looking for a solid brunch item to throw together on the weekends. When I came across this baked french toast recipe from our fave food blogger, Damn Delicious… game changer. My sweet husband, Jay, said it would be perfect for Christmas morning and I totally agree. Here’s the skinny:
- 3 small French baguettes, ends trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg (I skipped this)
- 2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
For the maple glaze:
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup, or more, to taste
- Lightly coat a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick spray. Place bread slices evenly into the baking dish.
- In a large glass measuring cup or another bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, vanilla bean paste, cinnamon and nutmeg. Pour mixture evenly over the bread slices. Cover and place in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place the bread mixture into the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until golden brown.
Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in brown sugar and maple syrup until well combined and slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Pour mixture evenly over the bread slices.
Serve immediately, sprinkled with confectioners’ sugar, if desired. It’s desired.Continue Reading