J: Hi. Busy life happening over here. We’ve missed you. Let’s catch up, shall we?
As you know, Jay and I are expecting a little boy in May and we are officially in FULL nursery planning/baby shopping mode. We will do a nursery reveal once we have the furniture installed, but here are a few items I’ve scooped so far:
Curtains: Had. To. Have. These. They’re pretty perfect for basically any room in your home.
Accent Table: A table very similar to this was one of the first purchases I made for the nursery to go next to the glider. Super cute. Great price. Target wins AGAIN.
Animal Heads: I obsessed over finding wall decor for the nursery that wasn’t cheesy. Really difficult task. BEHOLD the most precious white animal heads we came across at Z Gallerie and purchased on the spot.
And now for a few pregnancy must haves…
My girlfriend, Annie turned me on to Mama Mio products and they are nothing short of amazing.
This top. In every color. Perfect for the layering I’ve been doing in the chilly weather. Perfect fit. Super soft.
Still sporting heels on the daily, but these slippers are sweet relief when I get home. And in gold. Naturally.
Promise we won’t stay gone long this time! We have Super Bowl Sunday and Valentine’s Day on the horizon after all!
You guys. It’s HOT. And L is PREGNANT. What’s she wearing? These pieces are going the distance, from now until her due date in August. From L:
1) Mossimo Supply Kimono Dress – I wore this dress (in heather gray) pretty much every day of the last two months of my first pregnancy. It isn’t maternity, but it’s super bump-friendly. Other selling points: it’s not too short; it has a flattering neckline; the lightweight jersey is perfect for warm (HOTTT) weather. I really needed a new one this time around, and I was not optimistic that Target would still carry this style five years later…BUT IT DOES! So I recently ordered it two more colors (black and zenith teal). Meet my new uniform, at least for the next five weeks.
2) Liz Lange Maternity V-Neck – As you guys know, I’m not a fan of buying maternity clothes unless it’s absolutely necessary. Most of it is SUPER expensive and quite often hideous. But I do really like these Liz Lange v-neck tees. They’re nice and long, the fit is perfect…and they’re cheap enough to toss after you give birth. Bye! I have this tee in black (to pair with these black leggings) and navy/white stripe (to pair with my white Spanx skinnies). I wear both with a huge acid yellow chunky necklace. Distract with accessories!
3) Joe’s Jeans Denim Shorts – I bought these denim shorts (with J!) for my first pregnancy, and I am getting just as much wear out of them the second time around. I pair them with a short sleeve Piko top from Shop Sole Dish (black, grey, royal blue, mint and white available). They weren’t cheap, but I’ve gotten so much wear out of them. Obviously, if I were pregnant in the fall or winter, it might have made more sense to invest in full-length maternity denim.
5) Aerie Boho Bralettes – OMGGGGG. I discovered these lace bralettes a few weeks ago and they’ve been such a game changer. They’re super comfortable to sleep in, and I will definitely wear them post-pregnancy. This style comes in so many great colors – I had to stop myself at three.
We’d love to see your pregnancy style! Tag us in your pics on Instagram @glitter_blog_xo!
Some of you may know that L is expecting again – another baby boy will join the TGL family in August! To say that we are excited is an understatement. Between J’s wedding and L’s new baby, 2015 is shaping up to be a big year for us.
Dressing around a baby bump can be challenging – especially if you want to at least reasonably maintain your not-pregnant style. While there’s nothing wrong with buying into “maternity fashion” – loud prints, belly bands, etc…there ARE other options. From L:
1. Size up in regular clothes. You are not required to buy “maternity” clothes. There are tonnnns of regular clothing styles that can work throughout your pregnancy – if you go one size up. Some of my favorites:
Faux leather leggings (2) – These fit right over your bump. Bonus: it’s hard to feel frumpy when you’re wearing skinny “leather” pants. Pair with an oversized tee or a tank plus kimono. This style is a best-seller at Dish for all shapes, sizes and ages.
PPLA Pismo Beach Tee (3) – This loose-fitting striped tee (see below about stripes!) looks great with faux leather leggings or shorts.
Spanx skinny denim (4) – I have been wearing these non-stop. They’re super-stretchy and perfect with a loose top and wedges.
Piko Long Sleeve Dress (5) – All hail the Piko dress. This uber-popular style cropped up this fall and is just perfect for growing bumps. The arms are fitted but the body is loose, so you can wear this throughout your pregnancy.
Blank NYC Pull-On Belles (6) – These super-comfy flares embrace one trend (70’s bell bottoms) while ignoring another (high-rise). The result is a pair of jeans that look spot-on but sit comfortably underneath your baby bump. L sported these at dinner in NYC and got tons of compliments! Great news: they’re coming to Dish Statesboro in a few weeks.
2. Go for classic prints. Were you into multi-color swirly prints before you got pregnant? I wasn’t either. (BUT IT’S OKAY IF YOU ARE – that’s just not me.) I can’t bring myself to buy them just because I’m expecting. That said, prints can be a nice diversion from a growing bump. Hold out for classic stripes, ginghams and plaids in looser shapes. One of my favorite pieces right now is a navy gingham Tory Burch tunic handed down from my mom. It’s one size larger than I would normally wear (see above!), and it’s perfect with those white Spanx skinnies. Oversized black and white striped tunics (like this one by PPLA) and tees pair perfectly with black faux leather leggings and booties. In the fall, a plaid tunic looks great with dark leggings and tall brown boots.
3. Accessorize. Even if you get creative, chances are you will have a limited rotation of things to wear while pregnant. This is okay – relatively speaking, pregnancy is just a blip on your style radar. Don’t invest too much in clothes for this time period because it will be over before you know it! Instead, accessorize your pregnancy capsule to the fullest: pay attention to shoes, add a hat, switch up your jewelry, etc. One of my favorite looks right now is a pair of elastic-waist ivory lace shorts, and oversized black tank, and my knee-high Minnetonka lace-up boots paired with a leather tassle necklace and a Panama hat. It’s comfy, trendy…and feels like something I would wear nine months from now.