In our continuing effort to cook quick, easy, delicious meals while buying as few new ingredients as possible, we stumbled upon this recipe for Bang Bang Shrimp Pasta on Damn Delicious (one of our favorite food blogs). We were initially skeptical (mayonnaise? blahhh), but it turned out AMAZING. And it only took about 5 minutes to throw together. We strayed a little from the original recipe, so check out our modified version below.
Bang Bang Shrimp Pasta (adapted from Damn Delicious)
What You Need
- 8 ounces spaghetti (we used whole wheat spaghetti)
- 8 ounces medium shrimp, peeled and deveined (we used a bag of thawed frozen shrimp)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika, or more, to taste (we just used regular paprika – totally fine!)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Bang Bang Sauce
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup Thai sweet chili sauce (we substituted cocktail sauce – worked fine!)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- Juice of 1/2 lime, or more, to taste (we didn’t have any limes so we left this out, but we bet it would be a good addition)
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
What You Do
- To make the sauce, whisk together mayonnaise, Thai sweet chili sauce, garlic, lime juice, Sriracha and red pepper flakes; set aside.
- Toss shrimp in paprika.
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package instructions; drain well.
- Saute chopped garlic and onion in olive oil for a minute or two, until soft. Add shrimp, a pinch more paprika, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook until shrimp are pink (just a few minutes).
- Pour in about half the sauce (just enough to coat).
- Add the pasta to the pan. Add a little more sauce if necessary. We only used about half of our sauce mixture. But you do your thing.
- Serve immediately, garnished with fresh parsley.
We promise, this will become a regular in your dinner rotation. Annnnnd, we’re eating the leftovers as we speak!Continue Reading