Happy Memorial Day! Today we are thankful for our freedom and forever grateful to those who have given their lives serving our country.
Visit our Pinterest album red + white + blue to view the links for these images. Need some last-minute recipe inspiration? Check out some of our fave summer recipes here. We hope you all have a fantastic holiday.
We can’t lie. It’s been a long week. L has been sick, J’s been swamped at work, and the weather down south has been super depressing. So, in true Glitter Girl style, we’re planning a fun and productive weekend to shake these rainy day WEEK blues. Here’s our plan:
1. Decorate. A little Target-ing always lifts our mood. A few pics of some recent Target finds..
Have you seen the new and improved Threshold for Target collection? This iron wire table is a MUST have.
2. Make. Inspired by J’s recent purchase of a green guacamole bowl (from Target! we can’t stop.), we’re going to whip up this fresh Edamame Guacamole on Saturday afternoon and cross our fingers for patio weather. Just add pita chips and a cocktail.
3. Makeover. Our closets, that is. L’s closet is jammed with hangers, and J’s bedroom is a maze of laundry piles. Inspired by this article on Lauren Conrad and this post on Cupcakes and Cashmere, we’re going to at least START spring cleaning our closets.
4.Shop. Now that we have some room in our closets, we’re going to reward our superior organization skills with a few spring wardrobe purchases. What? We deserve it! Our picks:
5. Nails. What would our Friday Five be without a new nail color? J’s picking up Essie’s Bikini So Teeny at lunch today.
What are y’all up to this weekend? Tweet us or Instagram us @glitter_blog_xo!
If you’re like L and me, you love to get creative with your nail polish but you don’t have the time (or the cash) to hop into the nail salon every week for a manicure. We are definitely advocates of the DIY home mani BUT regular polish chips after a few days. So what’s a glitter girl to do?
Thanks to my coworker Amber, let me share how to get the same shiny, long-lasting results of a professional gel manicure right in the comfort of your own home. The key ingredient:
It’s not a quick process, but the results (and $$ you save!) are totally worth it. All you need is Gelous Nail Gel by ACI, the nail color of your choice (any brand), and a fast-drying top coat.
Here are the steps:
1. Apply two coats of Gelous, leaving a few minutes of dry time in between.
Since we live near/have lived in Savannah, GA, St. Patrick’s Day is near and dear to our hearts. We won’t be making it down for the big parade on Sunday, so here’s how we’ll be celebrating:
1. Host a party: Don’t feel like venturing out to your local pub? Have your friends over and go green with your food/decor!
2. App: Channel your inner leprechaun with Irish Grilled Cheese Sandwiches from the Food Network.
3. Festive mani: We can’t let the weekend go by without a mani… This holiday sent us on a hunt for the perfect shade of green. Essie came through (as always)!
4. Outfit: Girls. The weather is supposed to be beautiful this weekend! Time to break out your Springs best. And make sure it’s green. We don’t want you to get pinched…
5. Festival: For those of you in Atlanta this weekend, Fado Irish Pub is the place to be. They’re celebrating St. Pat all weekend long with Bagpipes, Irish fare, and Guinness to your hearts content. Click here for tix/more info.
How are you celebrating St. Patrick’s Day? Tweet/Instagram us pics! @glitter_blog_xo.
This week has been total madness. J has had a bazillion work meetings & tried to get to the gym in the interim; L has been doing everything from shipping orders to ordering inventory to hosting a trunk show (more on that next week!). So thank you, Friday, for showing up on time. We’re looking forward to putting our work aside and trying some new things this weekend! Here’s what we’re thinking:
2. Nails: Ease into spring with a bright, fun mani! (And glitter, naturally.)
3. Fun Recipe: It will be warming up in Atlanta this weekend (finally). Sixty-five and sunny = patio lunch/dinner. So glad the Brown Eyed Baker is sharing ninety-five of her favorite spring recipes. Why not try 1, 5, or 10?
4. New Necklace: Speaking of a pop of color, why not shop for something to add a little pizazz to the basic chambray shirt you’ll be wearing all spring? 31 Bits is a socially-minded jewelry business giving women in Northern Uganda an opportunity to counter poverty by making jewelry. The “beads” on these beautiful necklaces are handmade using recycled paper. Thanks to 31 Bits, these women who make these necklaces now have access to English lessons, finance training, AIDS and health training, and more. We can’t think of a better way to update your wardrobe.
Sorry for the delay in my Birchbox post. Our Vegas trip had me playing catch-up all week. Without further ado…
1. Beauty Protector Protect & Detangle. I love a leave-in treatment. With uber long hair like mine, it’s pretty much a requirement. This product really has its way with frizz. It’s back-ordered until March 2 for a reason…
2. Dr. Lipp Original Nipple Balm for Lips. Yes, this was originally created for new mothers facing sore nipples from breastfeeding. BUT it has gained a rep with London makeup artists as the ultimate lip gloss. I have to agree! Put it on before bed and wake up with super smooth lips.
3. Juicy Couture Couture La La. It’s no secret that L and I love the Juicy perfumes and Couture La La is no exception. This fruity/floral scent is really pretty and not too sweet or too girly. Hmmm, I think it’s time for new full-size bottle….
4. Dermablend™ Smooth Indulgence SPF 20 Concealer. I appreciate a concealer that doesn’t feel heavy or thick. Smooth Indulgence from Dermablend stays in place and gives plenty of coverage without weighing your face down. Highly recommend.
We’re headed back to Las Vegas this afternoon for a quick trip to the MAGIC tradeshow. We’ll land tonight, work all day Wednesday, and head home to Atlanta on the red-eye late Wednesday night. We’re packing light this time. Our plan:
Tuesday: Meetings + Flight
We both have meetings Tuesday morning (including a vanity necessary stop at DryBar) before our flight leaves, so we can’t just schlub it. Skinny jeans and vests will do us right and take us all the way to LV.
Tuesday Night: Drinks
Once we get to Vegas, I’ll keep the fur vest but swap the skinnies for leather shorts, the lace tee for a flowy top, and the boots for heels. Once key to packing light is to wear your bulkiest items on the plane. For me, that’s the fur vest and boots.
Wednesday: Tradeshow + Industry Happy Hour + Dinner + Flight
We always fight the urge to dress like twins when we’re together–our brains work the same way, so it’s tough! We’ll both be wearing versions of this cute, layered outfit for the tradeshow, happy hour at BCBG, one of our fave vendors, dinner and flight home late Wednesday night.
The Packing List:
skinnys // lace tee // fur vest // scarf // pashmina (for the plane) // black leather shorts // peachy flowy top // nude heels // black leggings // oversize tunic // gray suede boots // leather jacket // striped tee and extra sweater (you never know!) // curling iron //dry shampoo // notebooks and office supplies // phone charger
We both have a version of the same Coach duffle, which is no longer available. This is probably the swan song for L’s duffle, though–ten years of weekly trips have taken their toll. Any suggestions for a replacement purchase?
We’re both wearing Essie Sand Tropez, a perfectly neutral shade that won’t show chips during our whirlwind trip.
We’ll post pics of our trip (and our outfits!) on Friday. Until then, be sure to follow our twitter feed @glitter_blog_xo for behind-the-scenes pics of MAGIC.