eight sixty dress + heels + hat + necklace: social (call 912.681.7008 to order) // bag (available here) + cuff (no longer available): tory burch. photos by chelsey navin.
Our take on Kentucky Derby style: a preppy striped dress paired with a pastel statement necklace (although pearls are perfectly appropriate, too), a simple (but huge) hat, and a bright bag (to hold our binoculars and a pair of flats).
There’s a lot to love about the Kentucky Derby, also known as the Most Exciting Two Minutes in Sports: the traditions, the horses, the drama, the HATS. We felt strongly that this awesome event deserved its own Friday Five. Read on for our guide to everything Derby.
1. Cocktail. The Derby calls for a classic mint julep, the quintessential Southern cocktail. Learn how to make yours here. And go ahead and invest in some pretty julep cups. You can use them for flower arrangements, pencil cups – all kinds of things, really – later.
2. Appetizer. Ham biscuits are perfect Derby fare, and they’re totally doable – with flair! – on short notice. Buy frozen biscuits and a glazed ham from your favorite grocer; serve with homemade condiments like Blackberry Mustard and Lemon Herb Butter. Easy (and fancy!).
3. Outfit. This is a ladylike event, girls…no skinny jeans (gasp!), no slouchy tees. You need to bring it, even if you’re just watching the race at a friend’s house. Race day essentials include a bag big enough to hold your binoculars AND a pair of flats, pearls, and – duh – a huge hat. Still not sure? Check out Southern Living’s authoritative guide to Derby fashion here.
4. Speak the language. Click here for an informative guide to the new qualification system for the Derby and a list of the likeliest winners on Saturday.
5. Place your bets! Pick the horse with the most awesome name (we loved I’ll Have Another last year – this year we’re betting on Overanalyze) and make a little wager. Then sip on a mint julep and enjoy this American sporting tradition.
Despite the wretched weather in Georgia, or maybe because of it, we can’t stop thinking about spring. This week’s Friday Five is dedicated to all things fresh.
1. Fresh Produce. Spring means fresh produce! Most farmer’s markets will really kick into gear in a few weeks. Drop by your local farmer’s market and scoop whatever looks best to you. Ask questions if you don’t know how to prepare a certain veggie – most vendors are happy to share a recipe or two. Learn how to master your farmer’s market and how to keep your produce fresh with a few tips from Lauren Conrad.
3. EOS Mint Lip Balm. It’s minty. It’s tiny. It’s 95% organic (surely the other 5% won’t hurt us). We’re tossing our bright lipstick and using this natural lip balm this spring.
4. Mint Blazers. It’s no secret that we love a classic blazer. This time of year we start thinking about swapping our favorite navy jacket for a pastel version. Mint flatters every hair color and complexion, and it looks equally great with dark denim and white denim.
We’re working hard and playing hard this weekend. We’ll check back in on Monday!
Wait, you didn’t think we’d leave you for the weekend without a cocktail recipe, did you? That wouldn’t be very Glitter of us. In keeping with today’s theme, swap your usual wine for one of these mint-cucumber-vodka cocktails. Fresh!
We’re headed back to Las Vegas this afternoon for a quick trip to the MAGIC tradeshow. We’ll land tonight, work all day Wednesday, and head home to Atlanta on the red-eye late Wednesday night. We’re packing light this time. Our plan:
Tuesday: Meetings + Flight
We both have meetings Tuesday morning (including a vanity necessary stop at DryBar) before our flight leaves, so we can’t just schlub it. Skinny jeans and vests will do us right and take us all the way to LV.
Tuesday Night: Drinks
Once we get to Vegas, I’ll keep the fur vest but swap the skinnies for leather shorts, the lace tee for a flowy top, and the boots for heels. Once key to packing light is to wear your bulkiest items on the plane. For me, that’s the fur vest and boots.
Wednesday: Tradeshow + Industry Happy Hour + Dinner + Flight
We always fight the urge to dress like twins when we’re together–our brains work the same way, so it’s tough! We’ll both be wearing versions of this cute, layered outfit for the tradeshow, happy hour at BCBG, one of our fave vendors, dinner and flight home late Wednesday night.
The Packing List:
skinnys // lace tee // fur vest // scarf // pashmina (for the plane) // black leather shorts // peachy flowy top // nude heels // black leggings // oversize tunic // gray suede boots // leather jacket // striped tee and extra sweater (you never know!) // curling iron //dry shampoo // notebooks and office supplies // phone charger
We both have a version of the same Coach duffle, which is no longer available. This is probably the swan song for L’s duffle, though–ten years of weekly trips have taken their toll. Any suggestions for a replacement purchase?
We’re both wearing Essie Sand Tropez, a perfectly neutral shade that won’t show chips during our whirlwind trip.
We’ll post pics of our trip (and our outfits!) on Friday. Until then, be sure to follow our twitter feed @glitter_blog_xo for behind-the-scenes pics of MAGIC.