Joe and I made an early New Year’s resolution to cook more/eat healthier. We started with this veggie lasagna Saturday night. Joe adapted a basic recipe into something delicious…and totally healthy. He also dropped half of it on the floor, which turned out to be good because if he HADN’T we would definitely have eaten the whole pan. My favorite thing about this recipe is that you make it in a loaf pan (the size you would make banana bread in). Double the recipe and make one to freeze while you’re at it – the smaller pan size won’t take up an entire freezer shelf. You can make this a day in advance, too – just cover tightly with foil and refrigerate until you’re ready to bake.
Joe’s Veggie Lasagna
What You Need:
- Cooking spray
- 9 whole wheat lasagna noodles
- 1 bag fresh spinach
- 1 zucchini, finely chopped
- 1/2 8oz. container part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 pinch dried basil
- 1 pinch dried oregano
- sea salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup jarred pasta sauce (we used a generic “chunky vegetable” pasta sauce)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
What You Do:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook lasagna noodles in the boiling water, stirring occasionally, until cooked through but firm to the bite, about 8 minutes. Drain.
- Steamer spinach and zucchini until tender, 2 to 4 minutes. Drain and press the water out of the vegetables. Don’t skip this step – veggies have lots of water in them, and if you don’t press the water out you’ll have a soggy lasagna.
- Mix veggies, ricotta cheese, 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, egg, spices, salt, and black pepper in a bowl until thoroughly combined.
- Spread 1/4 cup pasta sauce on the bottom of the prepared casserole dish; top with 3 lasagna noodles, 1/2 of the ricotta mixture, and 1/4 cup pasta sauce. Repeat layers of 3 more noodles, 1/2 cup ricotta mixture, and 1/4 cup pasta sauce. End with remaining 3 lasagna noodles and 1/4 cup pasta sauce. Sprinkle 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese on top. Cover casserole with aluminum foil.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes. Uncover casserole and continue baking until lasagna is bubbling and lightly browned, about 25 more minutes. Let lasagna stand 5 minutes before serving.
Serves four (or two if you drop half on the floor). Yay for resolutions!