To us, spring means light, bright entertaining: Easter egg hunts (more on that later!), baby showers, bridesmaids brunches. This season we’re searching for fresh flavors put together in new ways.
These super easy Shrimp-Mango-Avocado Cups are just the thing to make for your next spring party.
This recipe makes one dozen appetizers, but can easily be doubled.
- 1 dozen pre-baked phyllo cups OR 1 dozen homemade phyllo cups (I went the homemade route – recipe follows!)
- 1 dozen cooked shrimp, cut into small pieces (3-4 pieces per shrimp)
- 1 mango, peeled and cut into small pieces
- 1 avocado, peeled and cut into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons low-fat sour cream
- juice from one lemon
- few grinds of sea salt
- Combine shrimp, mango and avocado pieces in a mixing bowl. Make sure your pieces are uniform in size!
- Whisk sour cream, lemon juice and salt in a separate bowl. Pour over shrimp mixture.
- The original recipe doesn’t call for this, but I advise chilling the shrimp mixture for an hour or two to help it come together.
- Fill the phyllo cups with the shrimp mixture.
Homemade Phyllo Cups
- Thaw one part of a package of frozen phyllo dough. There are two sections to a package. Phyllo dough takes about two hours to thaw.
- Unroll the sheets of phyllo dough. *Gently* lift one sheet of dough onto a cutting board. Brush lightly with melted butter.
- Layer four more sheets on top, brushing each with melted butter.
- Using a small circle cookie cutter, cut one dozen circles out of the dough layers. I didn’t have a cookie cutter, so I divided my dough into 12 squares. It worked okay…but a cookie cutter would certainly give you more uniform cups and make for a better presentation.
- Press dough circles into a LIGHTLY GREASED mini-muffin tin.
- Bake at 375 for 8 to 10 minutes, until golden.
- Let cool before filling.
I was searching for an appetizer to make for Joe’s birthday dinner Sunday night, so I googled a few ingredients I had on hand: shrimp, mango, and phyllo dough. This recipe came up on the Yummly recipe finder – genius!
Share your favorite new recipe with us on Twitter or Instagram @glitter_blog_xo.