Happy Tuesday, glitter girls!
J and I capped off our busy weekend by watching (separately) the 2013 Academy Awards Sunday night. I didn’t have a full-blown Oscar watching party, but I did make a fun appetizer to celebrate. These tarts are the perfect small bite to pair with a glass of wine. The onions/goat cheese/thyme combo would also be delicious on toasted baguette slices.
Caramelized Onion and Goat Cheese Tarts
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 bunch fresh thyme, plus more for garnish
- 1 puff pastry sheet, thawed (from a 17 oz. package frozen puff pastry sheets)
- 1 log soft mild goat cheese, at room temperature
- Center a rack in the oven and preheat to 450 degrees.
- In a heavy skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Saute onion, stirring occasionally, until golden (about 10 minutes).
- Add wine and deglaze skillet, scraping up any brown bits. Cook until water evaporates and onion is an even deeper brown (about 10 more minutes).
- While onion is cooking, cut pastry sheet lengthwise into thirds. Cut each strip into 8 triangles.
- Place triangles on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Prick pastry all over with a fork. Bake until golden (about 10 minutes). Slice each pastry in half to create two thinner tart bases.
- Spread goat cheese onto pastry triangles. Top with caramelized onions.
- Garnish with fresh thyme leaves and serve immediately.
Makes 48 tarts. Adapted from the March 2013 issue of InStyle magazine.
And now, for this week’s Glitter Girl. Once a week-ish, we plan to highlight one of our favorite friends/readers/fellow Glitter Girls with a pic and a brief questionnaire. We’ll feature girls who are living in interesting places (from Atlanta to Alaska) and doing interesting things (from stylish stay-at-home moms to corporate ladder-climbers). We hope you enjoy getting to know The Glitter Life community!
Let’s meet Mika Kawana!
About me: I’m a University of Georgia grad (like L!), fashion hound and political junkie. I’ve worked as the finance director of the Georgia Republican Party since 2007. I learned all of my meticulous tendencies as Laura’s intern in Governor Sonny Perdue’s office years ago. 🙂 And I use them every day as I shake people down at the GAGOP.
1. What item or accessory do you wear the most? My grandmother’s onyx ring.
2. What are your three favorite stores (for ANYTHING, online or bricks and mortar)? Social/Dish (that counts as one, right?), Arden’s Garden (hello…who doesn’t love wheatgrass? If you haven’t juiced before, you need to get on it), and World Market (they have great deals on wine and decorations).
3. Fill in the blank. You would die if ____ followed you on Twitter. Uhhh. I don’t have a twitter account. Maybe one day, I’ll jump on the bandwagon.
4. Your last meal. What is it? It’s Mexican. It is always Mexican.
5. What’s your guilty pleasure? Massages at my sketchy foot massage place. It’s called Foot Massage. Fact. You can’t beat an hour massage and a 30 minute foot massage for $70. If you live here in Atlanta, Foot Massage is located in the Pinetree shopping center on Buford Hwy. Ask for May.
Did you make anything special to watch the Oscars? Tweet us at @glitter_blog_xo! And don’t forget to follow us on Instagram at @glitter_blog_xo.